Originally Posted by Austin
"I disagree. Why did you not eval him past the alphabet?" I asked.

"That is 4 year old and Kindergarten stuff." she said.

When my eldest started preschool, I gave his teacher a rundown of his reading abilities. She looked at me like I was speaking Martian.

He was 4! Four is early to read, say, simple words, but not outrageously so. This would mean a few other kids in my son's class would have been past mastering the alphabet. But the message would not sink in, no matter how many times I brought it up. It was frustrating. They wouldn't even let him do SRA cards until kindergarten.

You might try asking the afternoon teacher to evaluate him at a higher level.

Sometimes teachers have a conceptual barrier around giftedness and they have to see the child pass their own tests before they believe.

We struggled for three years. We never really succeeded with math, but one teacher was good about accelerating my son's in reading and language arts. When he moved past her (2nd grade), we had the same problem. I finally convinced the 3rd grade teacher to let him do a reading/book report project that her kids were doing. He completed it in a week, in the car, as we drove to/from school. This was a three-week project in her class. Everything changed after that --- because he passed an evaluation that they had designed.

Dunno if this would work with your son's teacher(s), but I'm throwing it out as food for thought.

Good luck.