Originally Posted by Grinity
I don't think that parents need to assist their children with reading as much as be an active discussion partner. That's what I remember missing anyway as a child. I seemed to almost inhabit the books and then was quite lonely with no one to discuss them with. Plus, by reading books together one builds a family vocabulary with references and in-jokes, which I really enjoyed with my son. There are moments when we just look at each other and know that we are both thinking of the same literary reference. And we grin.
Love and more Love,
Grinity
I agree with this. There are many books that I have read at different stages in my life, have discovered different layers with each read. One of my favorite books is The Story of San Michele by Axel Munthe. The first time I read it I was about 11, and more than twenty years later I still enjoy reading it. Every time I read it speaks to me in a different way. So, yes, I believe that children can read book and get something out of them, even if they have been labeled as adult books.