I think I've gotten very lucky with the whole skip thing. We keep in close contact with her teacher and her gifted teacher. She was in Kindergarten until Dec when they moved her up. Testing took the longest, her teacher requested that she be tested in October and it took until Dec to get the report and the recommendation to skip her. Unfortunately, by Jan we were told by her gifted teacher that she had completed all the requirements for first grade as well. They don't want to move her but have allowed her to do subject acceleration. So she's currently doing 3rd grade reading, math and getting 3rd grade spelling words. Her teacher this year is fantastic.

We have met some challenges, mostly due to how bored she is and the school does not want to skip her again. They worry about her age, her social skills and of all things her handwriting, which has gotten better, but she just turned 6 less than a month ago and she now writes better than most of the kids in her class. We worry about next year for her as we think we'll meet with resistance again from the teacher, she does have a GIEP, and I'm willing to fight.

We have recently found out that she's getting substantially more work than the rest of the first graders (Something I really didn't want to happen, just them throwing more work at her), she's happy about it though, my theory is because anything is better than sitting there being bored.

I will say though that there is a plan "B" we're attempting to get her into a charter school that is designed towards gifted children. It's very scary to think of moving her and sending her to a different school but we've heard nothing but good things about the school so we're looking into it.