The school listed both tests on their website but I didn't think to call and ask if they actually prefer one over the other, silly me - what a good idea - thanks! I wish they'd just look at his SAT scores from the last two years. Is the SSAT a "junior" version of it, I wonder?

He is only interested in Phillips Exeter at this point and hasn't expanded his search beyond that school yet. He read about their library, saw a course catalog, and fell in love with the idea of going there. I'm not even sure how he stumbled upon the school in the first place? It's about 1,200 miles from us and he doesn't know anyone there.

So no, no consultant - yikes - didn't even know that was a possibility. Boarding school was never really on our radar until recently. He's 2 grades ahead but still isn't being challenged in the way he could or should be. College doesn't seem quite right - just yet. So, I don't know - we are now tossing this about as a possibility. Here in the Mid-west there aren't all that many people who send their children to boarding school (or not that we've been able to find anyway) so it's been hard finding anyone with experience with and knowledge about the process.

Grinty, how did you come to this decision? (If you don't mind my asking?) And are you and your child happy with it?

Thanks for your help!