I'm new to this board, and posted a note on the Explore thread, but had a general testing question.

I have a daughter (10) and a son (8). My daughter has been 'identified' as gifted at school since third grade (according to grade level achievement test being 98+%), but has received basically no interventions because our district does not have a gifted program, only a 'red folder' system where teachers are told of the 'red folder' kids and are asked to differentiate for them.

My son is in 2nd grade, and I just advocated (read: bugged the teacher and principal incessantly for 7 months) to have him bumped to 3rd for math and he is doing splendidly. (Looks forward to it every day...)

My basic question: my son was acting out and telling us he was bored, so we had his IQ tested. The scores were varied, but the GAI ended up being around 135 (I don't have the actual scores with me now). This testing was part of what finally pushed the school to bump him to 3rd for math.

Now, I wonder if I should get my daughter's IQ tested. As a parent, I firmly believe hers IQ is likely higher than her brothers...but she has had many more years to regress tot he mean and become disillusioned with school. Her Explore tests basically tell us she scored right in the middle of kids who take the test (with an outlier English/Rhetoric score). Everything was above 80 except for math, and her English/Rhetoric was high.

So, do I test her IQ, or do you think she would be served to just keep taking the achievement tests?

One note: she is a kid who doesn't think she is smart. If asked, she will tell you that she thinks she is a little above average (and mean it) although her test scores have always told us otherwise. She HATES being singled out at school and wants to blend in more than anything. She would rather be bored, than have people think she was 'different'. I hate that she has had to come to this conclusion already in her life. Has anyone had a situation where a kid seeing their IQ score actually helped them to realize their potential??

Thank in advance for any help!
Sarah