My gifted 5 year old son was recently moved from kindergarten to first grade 1/2 days every day. (He does academics with first grade and everything else with kindergarten.) Although first grade isn't really challenging him much academically, he seems to me to be much happier and more interested in school. The school has never done this before, but the principal seems willing to let me decide what to do with my son next year. I was leaning toward all day in second grade. I don't like that half days seem to make him stand out with both grades. However, his kindergarten teacher told me yesterday that he's started crying a couple times within the last week. He gets really upset when he thinks someone will not be happy with him. He cried over very minor things. (ex.He thought he hadn't turned in his library book, and the librarian would be angry if he tried to check out another book.) The teacher seems to think he doesn't need to go to higher grades because of the crying/ lack of maturity in handling little things. I'm torn because I agree with her, but I can't see him doing work years below where he is academically. I am just looking for any advice???

Last edited by lynn12345; 03/08/11 08:11 AM.