Originally Posted by sunshine4
I have heard that the more gifted the child is, the more trouble he will have socially. Does this seem true for all of you? In my experience watching kids who are more moderately gifted, they seem to interact better socially and not seem as out of place.

Hi sunshine4
My DS 5 last year was often wandering around the playground at school thinking, this year, now, inside because of the cold, will often sit and read. I was more perturbed by it last year, now I recognize that he is simply more interested most of the time in what goes on his own head, when he wants out or is nudged out, he is perfectly social with is age mates, but he does prefer older kids because they are familiar with what he is reading and learning. Although I do have to say with my help he is learning how to get kids interested in what is in his head - don't use the robot voice first off - explain the story, etc.

And I second not using the dreaded they all even out at 3rd grade but it's more likely then to find someone who might be reading what your reading or at least interested in it. At this age the vocab and knowledge gap is much larger between the nd and the very advanced. Put another way a moderately gifted at 4 is reading fancy Nancy where the other kids have it read to them, where DS might read a similar picture book because its there, he is also reading about black holes, the formation of the universe, super heros, and Australia (not in the same book LOL)

DeHe