Hi-
His GAI came out at only 115, but the ed. psychologist said he felt it was much much higher than that, but Mite's hands would spasm anytime he had to use them for a subtest. Both the ed psych and the special ed teacher said they felt Mite would be a 99.9%ile kid if he could use his hands better and not be so perfectionistic. On the blocks subtest he actually put his hands way in front of him and the blocks and turned his hands backward, with stiff spasms, to manipulate them. The ed. psych. said Mite verbalized what he needed to do quickly and correctly, but physically couldn't perform the tasks.

In addition, he performed less well on the verbal tasks if they followed a fine motor task.

So, the ed. psych. felt it really was not an accurate representation of who Mite really is. Mite has developmental coordination disorder aka dyspraxia, and dysgraphia.

I'm wanting to get an idea what his real iq is so we know who we are working with before we slap interventions on him.

The District gave us the results on the VERY last day of school this year. It was his first evaluation (we had to fight several months before the district did it). They basically dropped his results on us and said, "see you the week before school to do his IEP".

So, I'm using the summer to figure out who he is. I want to make sure the interventions are appropriate.

Oh. To be fair, I really do think his team is going to be good for him. They all fell in love with him during the evaluation process and seem interested in championing his case. I do know they are excited to be working with him because of the rarity of his 2E (his VCI was only 136, but he hit the ceiling on several of the Wood**** Johnson subtests). I also know they wanted to take the summer to study 2E and understand better what to do with him.

His perfectionism seems to be effecting the neuropsych evaluation; so we stopped. I think it also effected his performance on the SCANTRON, but his fine motor issues would have done that too.

It looks like his left hand functions at about 2 years level while the right is about 5 years level. He's 8.5. His body is just far less mature than his funky brain.

thanks for the website. i'll look into that.

Willa Gayle