Might it be helpful to look at neighboring schools/districts which have better programs in place and ask "how did that happen?"

I know that there are a few mechanisms for providing GT enrichment within a public school system that doesn't fund it or even really provide a means to provide it during the school day:

• parents can VOLUNTEER to take on informal "club advisor" roles for extracurricular/after school enrichment-- book clubs, art activities, music, and robotics (Lego robotics) are all popular ideas that work or can be made to work for a wide range of abilities and ages,
  • once a core group of parents exists and knows how to work together, this can be taken to the next level by forming an NPO to manage the organization's efforts,
  • with non-profit status, fundraising is simplified somewhat, and new revenue sources are opened up (grants).

For an example of how that CAN work, here's an example that I know of--

Saturday Academy

Hooking up with a local children's museum or college/university may be another avenue to explore.

I think that to get the ball rolling, you have to be willing to volunteer to act as a mentor/coach/club leader in an area of your own expertise, and then let the other parents find YOU. And they will, especially if there is a need for more GT programming in your school. At a minimum, you'll need to be okay with the school conducting a background check on you (and maybe even fronting the cost yourself), and probably with providing club resources out of your own pocket at first.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 02/18/11 03:44 PM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.