Originally Posted by shellymos
Another good option for school is khan academy. My son does that at school some too. The school recently got him an account to use so he can do the exercises at home and school. He seems to like it and it moves quickly and is free.

I posted something similar in another post. We've used ALEKs, Khan, and Alcumus (AoPS). Before DS's current GIEP was finalized, the school purchased and set up ALEKs. He was to work on this during the math period in his regular classroom.

I think a lot of this depends on the classroom and your teacher. ALEKs does require some input from the instructor to be really effective IMO. Since they were trying to let DS work on his own while the teacher focused on the rest of the class, it's not been as successful as it could have been.

At home we've found the free Khan and Alcumus programs to be better than the purchased ALEKs. Both Khan and Alcumus are better at having kids go at their own pace with less instructor input (although some input, especially at the beginning, is necessary).

Good luck.

JB