Sounds to me like he's not being challenged. We've had same problem with our DS8 now in 2nd grade. His pre-school, K & 1st grade teachers "got" him and gave him extra challenges to keep him interested, long division in pre-K (which I thought was crazy), more advanced books to read, let him choose his own spelling words, etc. Now in 2nd, teacher says her "hands are tied by curriculum", so he's getting bored, and he's starting to "fall behind" in classwork and her assessments, while nevertheless getting 99th percentile in all areas on the state standardized tests. I digress... I agree with Nik, I don't think it's a behavior/respect problem, I think when your son sees a teacher do something wrong, he can't help but correct them. If the teacher means to write "their" instead of "there" on the white board, our son says something and he cannot understand why he shouldn't, and frankly I think it's OK as long as he's polite about it. Luckily his teachers thus far have appreciated it and not been offended. But as to not being challenged, it's very hard when the G&T programs in school are a couple hours here and there and most of the time the G kids are expected to go with the flow in the regular classroom. It's not enough. We are switching to an all day HG school with an open classroom and no grade levels. It's going to be an adventure, but we are very excited about the possibilities.

Oh and we have ALL the Capt Underpants books. Potty jokes and farting are hilarious in my house, at least to DH and DS. I insist on keeping a lid on it around others, but when it's the three of us, I'm outnumbered and can only roll my eyes...