My dd4 goes back and forth between more wild creative/abstracted images like masks, geometric compositions and that sort of thing and then things like you describe: butterflies, houses with a girl and the sun overhead, etc. They are still interesting to me, her mother, but not like the more abstract drawings, which I would venture to say are just plain interesting. Since it corresponds with her being more in a regular classroom setting, I think it has to be a way for her to fit in. I am glad she still works in both realms but if I had to pick....

They happen to have a great art teacher at her school now, I do not think that will be the case next year, however. I think she is encouraged by this teacher to continue with the more abstract things.

Re your daughter, I think art students do go through a period of interest in more realistic methods and honing their rendering skills, which might lead to less creative subject matter or compositions, so it might just be a trade off for now.
I have read that this more realistic phase is essential for "real art" to be made as an adult; students who don't learn the 'rules' will not be able to break them in a way that could be considered sophisticated or novel. (supposedly one of the hallmarks of real art).

Last edited by chris1234; 02/04/11 11:19 AM.