Originally Posted by Lori H.
When my 12-year-old son and I read about the cerebellum in his human body encyclopedia a few years ago we wondered if there was a connection. The cerebellum receives input from the sensory systems and from other parts of the brain and spinal cord and integrates these inputs to fine tune motor activity.

Hi Lori H,
This is very interesting to me. My almost 7 year old son has motor dyspraxia, mild hypotonia and seems recently that he might also have some degree of dyslexia. We have had a lot of testing done, including an MRI. My son's cerebellum is slightly smaller than normal and fluid takes up the extra space. The neurologist thinks that this is the cause of his fine and gross motor difficulties. The cerebellum is also important, I think, for rapid word recall and other language related things as well (rapid naming is the biggest problem he is having in learning to read). In our case there is nothing to be done, but at least all the testing ruled out progressive diseases, muscular + nerve problems, etc.