Originally Posted by Mom2LA
So ladies help me out. I know many of you have kids who have difficulty staying focused in school.

<hand raised> Yup, we do!

Originally Posted by Mom2LA
Its certainly not that he can't do the work but is this enough to hold him back?

I'd say no, it's not! Has anyone else bothered to talk to the child about WHY he's not doing his work? Do they all just not realize that he's GT, probably Visual-Spatial, and bored?

Can you recommend GT assessment--including an IQ test and perhaps an achievement test--before your Bro and SIL make any decisions about next year? I think that's probably the best bet for your nephew.

If it's possible for you to advocate with his parents, I would recommend that you do so. Someone needs to stand up for this child, and his parents seem to be missing the boat with him. On the bright side, most parents don't mind hearing that their child is really bright, so even if you're going to be seen as "meddling," it's not likely to be viewed as a bad thing by the parents in most cases.

Give them whatever help and guidance they'll let you share with them. It sounds like they need it!

Good for you for paying attention! Your nephew is lucky to have you!

Kriston