I'm starting to feel like I'm a member of The Electric Company. I call out 'Hey you guys...'. Thank you so much for your help.

I do think that the fashion fixation does cause some problems socially. My DD becomes very upset when her friends and family are unable to maintain interest and/or participate in endless fashion shows and other fashion related activities. I routinely take her aside quietly and gently explain that her friends do not share her interest and that she should try doing something that everyone can enjoy. She is getting better at accepting this but she does shed tears... Otherwise she doesn't experience problems related to sleep, etc.

I agree with all the suggestions gently trying to broaden her experiences with sewing, costume/fashion history, etc. I do think that this will work. Purely because I was curious, I asked her if she could take a 'day off fashion' just to see what would happen and she agreed. She seemed to be quite content reading most of the morning which certainly made me happy... but I know that is not the objective:). I am relieved that she was not at all distressed. I have to keep in mind that my own bias is at play here. It doesn't bother me half as much when she tries to engage others in conversation about the Periodic Table (her waning fixation) and so I need to keep myself in check too.

And MM, thanks for the link. Fascinating and gorgeous, a very good combination.

I do have lots of art supplies, books available, including a kids sewing machine and dress forms (I sewed before I started homeschooling and went to art school in what feels like a previous life). I'm going to spend more time encouraging her in these areas.

And cricket, thanks for all of your suggestions. I keep thinking about the road signs. I will look up the older threads. I really don't want to discourage my DD... it's a slippery slope because she is a perfectionist in virtually every way imaginable, drawing 'gowns' and performing fashion shows is one of the very few areas that she seems uninhibited and I certainly don't want to mess with that.

A.

Last edited by annaliisa; 12/30/10 12:27 AM.