We were able to hire a special ed teacher from the High School that had formally worked for a well known private High School for students with language disabilities. She was able to analyze my dd's writing, determine what skills were solid, which needed more work and then use a systematic and explicit teaching method to get her where she needed to be. This teacher also was able to help her with study strategies and organizational skills. DD went from a B-C student in an honors program at a competitive HS to a Solid A student this year - and we only use the tutor on an as needed basis. Of course, this is not my gifted, yet learning disabled child.

My youngest has severe dysgraphia and dyslexia and at the same time has a much higher IQ. Even with daily help and accommodations, he would never survive an honors level language course. Too much of the other issues would get in the way.

In general, I'd stay away from the big chains. They often do not have the special ed expertise to make the instruction explicit, systematic and multisensory. For kids with LD, you really need such a approach. Are there any LD schools in your area? How about Masters level teaching programs that might have experienced teachers that are seeking training in special ed?