I probably need to post an update smile but I'm short on time right at the moment.

Currently our situation for this year is that DS is able to go out of his classroom to another class for more appropriate math. That's been working fabulously so far. When he returns to his normal classroom, he's to do his math homework and then any extra time is spent on ALEKS. For math "homework" (he doesn't really need any but we do it for routine purposes) he might log on to ALEKS and do a little more work.

During the math period in his homeroom he doesn't get any real instruction or direction other than "[Child] you can go work on your math now." So we were thinking ALEKS was a little more guiding and instructional. It seems to be more focused on online review/questions only. *That* can get pretty boring to anyone, even our child who loves math. We're probably going to do ALEKS for the rest of this year just because it's already in place and we have a lot of other good things brewing. But honestly the boy would probably find it much more interesting to read Life of Fred or watch Khan's academy videos.

My question is are all of the online-based math programs like this? Or are there ones that do a better job of presenting the material and then evaluating the student? I know, it's like we're trying to replace the teacher. And in some ways we are trying to give the boy the right support in the elementary setting. But the fact is he's probably *not* going to have anyone available to explain things to him so it has to be something that works a little better self-paced.

Thanks in advance!

JB