Originally Posted by master of none
Not exactly on topic, but related enough that I just want to put it out there for thought.

Is there pressure from the teachers, other parents, kids, society, relatives, to "fit in"?

She needed ME to tell her how wonderful she is, how difficult life can be when you are different, but how important it is to be your unique self, and how important it is to nurture your self, NOT the person you wish you were.

Yes, I do think there is more pressure than I like to realize for DS to fit in. He told me last week - there are "normal" smart people and "nerdy" smart people. I want to be "normal" smart.

He used to call himself weird and was happy to do so. Now he realizes that he stands out when he doesn't share similar interests with his friends. I think part of it is the age that friends become more important but he is also more aware that he is not like the others in more ways than age.

I love that last piece of your quote about accepting who you are- it is so hard to explain but you did it beautifully.