Originally Posted by green valley
And I am not sure that the folks at school would be too excited: they do not have anyone at his ES in the gifted program and his teachers tried to dissuade us from testing him. They changed their mind and started pushing for testing because they think that based on the test results they can start providing some special services to him to work on his writing - his handwriting is not great in terms of neatness and size, although not terrible.

I rarely post anymore or read this board however...
I am saddened by the lack of understanding regarding giftedness that permeates our US educational system! Please nurture your child's passions and interests. Obviously, he wants to learn and he can't help it if he's light years ahead of his age peers. Do apply to DYS. That is definitely one tremendous benefit: meeting like peers for you child and meeting other parents you can vent to that can actually relate to what you are going through. Don't stop exposing your child to new things, ideas, interests. That is the fastest way to kill any desire for learning or education.