So what gives? Any advice? I really don't care about a "number," but I do worry he may not receive all the academic services he would get if he were labeled "gifted." He starts 7th grade next year, and students who remain in the gifted program lose their elective, so I'm not even sure the gifted label is all that important. It's just an irritant.
Does your son receive or have an option to take accelerated classes one or two grades up?

Our kids were never officially identifies as gifted at their small Catholic school, but dd was grade skipped and ds was early entranced with additional math acceleration there. These accommodations were far more valuable to us than leaving them at chronological placement for eventual pullout with other officially gifted kids of varying levels, as they would have had at public school. We have always preferred a situation where our kids have someone to chase rather than the big fish in small pond scenario. In the case of our son, meant looking for a bigger pond.

By your son�s achievement on the Terra-Nova, it is evident at the very least, that he is well educated relative to others. Additionally, his grades indicate motivation and success. These factors should qualify him for subject acceleration at a school that puts education first. As he leaves grade school, his grades and standardized scores will determine placement for advanced courses (possibly grade accelerated advanced classes). This, in turn, will better assure continued interest, effort and strong education.

In my opinion (based on my family�s experience), with the strongest possible education pursued now, your son will eventually end up with some equally or more highly gifted (and academically able) peers by high school or college.