I resisted meds (and even the idea of ADHD) for two years. How could my very calm, well behaved son have ADHD? But, his teachers insisted that he was always distracted, had difficulty staying on task and on subject, and was not able to focus on instruction and execute daily routines. Finally, after ruling out everything and watching my son suffer in school, we tried Concerta at the end of his 2nd grade year.

We started the medication on Monday without telling the school. On Wednesday I heard from both his classroom teacher and special ed teacher that he was having a fabulous week. He was able to execute routines, stay on task and take initiative in ways he hadn't before.

Luckily, we found the right medication and dosage the first time through. This does not always happen, and as others have mentioned it is important to be patient. We've had dosage adjustments 3 times since then (ds is now 13), including 2 weeks ago.

Medication does not cure his dyslexia, but it allows him to focus to take advantage of his tutoring. He feels more in control with medication. He is better able to participate socially and academically.

Initially, he had difficulty falling asleep while on medication. But this cleared up in about 2 weeks. The meds suppress his appetite, but we have strategies in place to insure he eats enough. And, now that he has hit puberty, this is less of an issue.

ADHD is a medical issue. It is not a moral or behavioral issue. As others have said, we would not deny our kids medical intervention for other diagnosis.

I hope it goes well for you and your son and that you find the right medication with the right dose quickly.