I think kcab was an excellent starting point. I am keeping those for myself.

I found, as we started grade 1 this year, that placement test is necessary. DD surpassed my expectations. A parent, unless a teacher themselves, really doesn't have the guideline of the curriculum and they should let the teacher know that. Give the teacher her realm of expertise. But where your child should work within the framework should be based on what he/she can handle and a placement test is necessary. Even with reading comprehension. A child can read well but how much are they comprehending. DD likes to do everything fast and when she reads aloud (because she so wants to read to herself) we notice that she will skip over words, treating them as sight words and getting them wrong. Sometimes she goes back, but she loses some of the point in her desire to read quickly.

Her VS giftedness plays itself out that math is way ahead but her spelling is poor. Her oral skills are strong. She is picking up Mandarin and Spanish easily but writing out words is not as strong. So placement testing gives a clear cut way of sorting out what your child needs.

Ren