DS stared grade 1 this year (for us, the academic year is the calendar year). Subject acceleration has been generally good although I don't relish the thought of renegotiating for the coming year. DS had been pleading to be home schooled and I've jumped in with both feet in preparation for next year. We are on the eve of sending in the application.

Which is why this came as a shock - DS made a close friend in school and is, for the 1st time, hesitant about homeschooling. Hes the sort who looks like he has tones of friends, but truth be told, he'd drop them in a heart beat in pursuit of his own interests. So while he has friends, he's not interested enough to keep them. This friend, he tells me, is different. I've made overtures to the parents for playdates, but I sense that they're not overly interested.

My gut feel is, kids can't choose their educational path as they don't have the life experience to do so. Having considered, I'm convinced homeschooling is best for us. He is young, he may switch classes away from his friend, they could have a fight and so on. He abhors the rigidity of school learning in any case. Yet I wonder if he'll start to regret, which could sow the seeds of discontent later. He has other "PE" friends, but no one close.

Has anyone pulled their child out of school when their child had friends? How is it like emotionally for the kid? My son is an only child. I'll be providing a lot of opportunities for him to meet friends, although that didn't work out well during our prior stint at homeschooling last year.