Thank you all for your responses and suggestions.

I had a much longer response written earlier, but IE crashed and I can't bring myself to write it all out again.

In short - I guess for next steps we will be meeting with teachers to see what the school can do for her, though I'm concerned based on feedback received already that it probably won't be much.

I'm not quite sure that after school supplementation works for her because if nothing changes in school, it's basically 6 hours a day of socialization, with futile homework, and then the extra work we'll be assigning her. It may work better if the teachers are able to provide more challenging instruction for her.

I do like the idea of independent study though and will be bringing that up with her counselor. They don't seem to be open to alternative options there, but there's always hope.

I think we can use the resources you all have provided for whatever solution we go with.

Does anyone have suggestions for other social studies programs? I went out to G3, but the website seems to have a lot of issues and I couldn't log in as a guest to see the samples. I'll be contacting them tomorrow to try to get that information. At the moment, I'm thinking that in-depth library books on specific events or time periods may be the better way to go.