How do you fight the school when they insist that you should be happy that your child is getting "perfect scores" on most of his work. The only errors are due to neatness and carelessness. They insist that these high grades mean that he is appropriately placed.
He is not emotionally mature enough for a grade skip although in other settings his natural peer group appears to be 2-3 years older than he is (He will be 9 in March.) He is physically unable to handle the increased writing requirements in higher levels without accomodations as well.
They assign so much busywork style homework each night that there is little time for him to pursue his interests or for us to afterschool. He is getting more and more depressed and frustrated. It is showing in the increase in careless errors in his classwork. The school interprets it as him being appropriately placed...
My gut feeling is that without any challenge, he is actually regressing in his rate of learning. I can't prove it since the school will not do any out of level testing with him. They just keep giving him at level tests that he ceilings out on and tell us nothing.
We have had private testing done that got us into a meaningless pullout program. He brought home the enrichment acticity sheets yesterday. He was doing those logic puzzles when he was 3 and 4. He is not off the charts like many of your children and we won't be applying to DYS. However, his love of learning is being extinguished and I'm at my wits end trying to figure out how to turn this situation around really appreciate your help.