I know that reasoning doesn't often help panic, but I'm going to try anyway.

Originally Posted by Catalana
what if it is too much for DS, what if ... terrible handwriting
If he notices and cares that his handwriting messes him up then he will slow down and improve on his own, or you can hothouse him a bit by using the 'how to write numbers' section in a Handwriting with tears Printing Book. Us their special paper - it's so amazing.

(and failure to keep straight columns of numbers) messes him up,

Turn the notebook paper sideways to help keep the columns of numbers aligned. Tell DS to use lots of paper when doing Math and write big. I know that you've already drilled him 'not to waste' so tell him
"Trees love to die to make paper for kids to learn Math."
and laugh with him over how much he worries about things like that. You have to get the tone very teacherly and it worked well at our house.

what if he feels terrible because he is just "in the middle" of the class instead of the top,

Cheer! Wouldn't you rather that happen now while you are here to support him than later when he is on his own, living away from home at college?

what if it is too hard,
You can always drop back to 4th grade math. I've BTDT too. It's ok.
or too much homework?
If the homework is appropriate, but just too much, you can contact the teacher and work something out. It's ok.
Or the worst scenario - what if he starts to dislike math!

If he is a kid who likes to learn, then it's more likely that he'll dislike math becaue it's too easy than because it's too hard. I've BTDT on this one too. If he starts to hate Math because it's too hard and he already doesn't enjoy learning, then so be it. I'd rather have a gifted kid who knows how to work hard and does it because it's expected, rather than because he enjoys it, than a gifted kid who doesn't enjoy learning at school AND doesn't know how to work hard.

So - congradulations! Try and remember to enjoy the process.
Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com