Thanks for the replies Catalana and Clay and to those that sent me PMs.

Originally Posted by Catalana
you may find your bigger issue is getting any accomodation at this stage.
We aren't expecting any, actually. The preschool here wasn't at all interested in discussing finding a better fit for DS and even suggested that another year with them would help DS to be "less frustrated and more social with his classmates." We did consider this but realistically there'll still be potential issues with K, albeit a year later. We only have one preschool here and 2 small schools, so most locals are used to just accepting whatever the powers that be decide. We will too, by necessity, but I did think it worthwhile to at least see if we can help so DS feels motivated to be there.

Originally Posted by Catalana
Very few kids can read going into a typical kindergarten, does you DS know that?
No, DS doesn't really care what others are doing, but cares very much about what he can or can't do. He keeps telling me he wish he could read but says that reading is really for older kids - no idea who planted that little seed because it sure didn't come from home. As for the writing, he says his hand hurts, which magically doesn't happen when he's on the PS3! I guess the interest in reading is there but not for the writing so much at this point.

Originally Posted by Clay
Otherwise, just go with the flow -- I'm sure he'll continue to bloom wonderfully.
Sounds good, Clay. If I had a happy little boy that was eager to get to school each day, that would be fine with me! Preschool's been such a nightmare for us, I really don't think I have it in me to cope with 5 days a week of more of the same. Let's hope it's just smooth sailing from here and that the meeting with the school is a positive one smile