Miraca's book was helpful to me as it gives a sort of longitidunal history of a bunch of PG and EG kids. Not the same as the BTDT advice of the bulletin boards, but interesting nonetheless.

I'll give you my own philosophy though - don't worry about keeping your child challenged. Worry about following his lead. That will keep him interested - which is even better than challenged at this young age.

We didn't really have a clue until about 11 months that there was anything that special about our DS - although we should have known earlier. Hindsight 20-20 and all.

He wasn't an early talker though - and most of our early games involved him crawling around the room. I haven't much idea what to do before then.

We had some plastic fish that we tossed on the floor and he would fetch them and count with me. We would play hide and seek in his books - find a picture of this or that. Find a picture of a red truck next to a green tree, etc.

Dr. Seuss's ABC was great for teaching letters.

What about getting books with lots of vivid photographs? Look at pictures of fish and mountains and planets and stars?

We didn't realize it at the time, but that first year that DS spent watching the weather channel while daddy took naps turned into a fascination with meteorology. Maybe you can spark a lifetime interest by getting some good coffee table books and going through the pictures and talking about them.

All I can say is good luck.... I think I would have been terrified if my 6 wk old started talking....

Mary

Mary