Hi Gals :-)
I have been away from this board for about a week and there is so much catching up to do!

For whatever it is worth, I am going to repeat my 3 cents. I am constantly quoting my kid's example, because that is how I learn best, case studies. The mumbo jumbo about test and subtests evaporates from my mind in seconds:-)
I am not familiar with test you are quoting. When my kids were in a private school they were given SAT (similar to IOWA but longer) at the beginning of every October. Then the results were given back to the parents almost without any comments and nothing happened. So no matter what your score was, no changes were made. When my kids moved to the charter school they were given a computerized placement test, I believe it was STAR (whatever that stands for ???). Ghost scored at the college level(ceiling for this test) after fourth grade. No way he was a college material! Never in his life did he do anything complex with fractions (like multiplying or dividing them), he has never worked ahead in math up to that point! So what were they measuring? Ability I quess, intuitive reasoning etc. So he was placed in Algebra I as a 5th grader and has flourished in math ever since. The sequence in our state is Algebra I/Geometry/Algebra II/Pre-calc/and then if able you can go directly to AP Calculus BC. I have been told by few different individuals, that able kids go directly from Pre-calc to AP BC.
I am not in love with this arrangement, because it will put my son in AP BC as a freshman, starting in a totally new school. On the other hand he is excelling in math, so would it be wise to hold him back?