Originally Posted by PoppaRex
I have been chatting with a local teacher about what they call "Differentiated Instruction" ...but on some various websites describing the method, it sounds as if they really do try to allow kids of different abilities to progress more at their own speed. I am not sure if there's a limit to exacly how different a student can be and i suspect that teaching algebra while everyone else is learning multiplication might not be something they are expecting.

Poppa

Differentiation is supposed to refer to differentiating both in approach and in content, depending on a child's needs. An example: a class studying U.S. government at the elementary school level is pre-tested. Some students don't know anything about the branches of government. They are given "who", "what", "where" words (name of branch, primary member of that branch, basic responsibility of that branch, building that is main work site). They group the words according to branch and quiz each other by setting the words up with one deliberate error for a partner to find. Another group of children knows the branches and most of the associated basics, but with some errors. They create a poster representing this information (after reviewing/checking their info), and are also charged with finding out at least 3-4 specific responsibilities for each branch. Yet another group of children know the basics and several specifics. They are assigned a webquest to locate additional information and are individually or in partners, assigned one branch to study in more depth. They create an informational brochure about that branch. Possibly there is also a child who has in depth knowledge about the government and its structure. That child is given materials to read about the debates leading to our three branch structure, and is then to prepare a project to share what they've learned (project structure negotiated with teacher). In this example, the study has been differentiated in both format and in content.

Originally Posted by Grinity
My approach to schools is to plug my ears with cotton when they explain what their system is and why it works, and ask specific questions about hypothetical situations and do lots of observation. I've been told 'We do provide differentiation - but your child has never gone over to the 'extra work' area when he finishes his required work, so he must not be interested - it's his fault.'

And if the extra work offered is still years below his readiness level, being offered as an 'additive'instead of a substitute, and not actually having any teaching go along with it, is my son still going to be judged lazy because he doesn't do it?
((shruggs))
Grimity

You've hit one of the biggest problems right smack on the head. There is this odd idea that while most students are required to do their appropriate work whether it strikes their fancy or not, gifted children need only be "offered" the opportunity to do appropriate work. Seems rooted in some very tiresome stereotypes about gifted children. When gifted children are more uniformly required to do appropriate work *instead* of (rather than in addition to) inappropriate work, we will be in much better shape!