Thanks for the link. I previewed the article and found that the studies demonstrate they are inconclusive as to whether gifted children can handle emotional stress any better than non-gifted. You are right about him being able to more consciously remember and communicate more persuasively.
In reply to your questions, during the ensuing 5 years, I haven't had to deal with the absent father and his issues. I have put it aside. Am I healed? Yes, I feel that I am. However, I wait for an apology from him to both myself and my son.

My heart tells me that if I could know his intentions it would be better. History tells me that they are not for the good. I worry that he would intentionally harm the boy. Physically, emotionally, psychologically do something to put him in peril. He has never supported the child, did not want the child born. It was an ultimiatum from the point of knowing we had conceived. "Have an abortion or I will divorce you?" and "I will never spend one ounce of my lifesource to support that unwanted fetus." And he hasn't.

SO in regard to his intent, I will have to hear more from him. Past experience has taught me that I almost have to not listen to my heart. Does he have a heart? (In the sense that you and I have one, are on common ground and want what's best for our sons.)

If I make the wrong decision it could cost my son his life. Accompanying his giftedness, my son also has health issues -- mild cerebral palsy, asthma and anaphylaxis to 5 common foods. His father never recognized or respected this and on more than one occasion fed him foods and exposed him to environments that he reacted to.

No one seems to think it is a good thing in and of itself. SOme think this is a troublesome thing. Some say to ask for financial support from this point on to demonstrate the absent father's commmitment and turnaround for the betterment of his son before any contact is made. All say to be careful. THink before you act. Reply?