Scholars Academy will have a bus next year but it is by a private company. My DD took the bus this year, in spite of the long ride, she loved it.
The school does operate on a much smaller budget than the private schools but the parents of the school have been very generous. My daughter gets much than she would at her public home school.
In general, we are happy at the school. My biggest concern is that my daughter does not have any neighborhood friends to play with. This has nothing to do with the school but it is a factor.
I can certainly understand how difficult your position is.
I hate to say this but by starting your son early it may be difficult to transfer him later. At Scholars Academy,This year there were 20+ applications and only 2 siblings got in.
I know nothing about Latin, except I have heard that they tend to put younger students into the TK program. Being very young may hurt his transfer chances. This is all internet rumors and I have no first hand knowledge of this school. Of course, it has an outstanding reputation. I would call the school if you are serious and get more information.
Having said all this, there is something to be said about the good quality schools in Union County.
I have learned from my daughter that there is no perfect fit. She has progressed this year, her K teacher was just fantastic. But, she I wish she had more school friends in the area.
I would put in the application for Scholars Academy next year. You can have him take the group test for free. It would be great to get a acore above 145 on the SB-V to ensure entry into the lottery. (130-144 goes to review.)
Good Luck, it seems that you have a very bright and engaging little boy.