Originally Posted by melmichigan
she knows everything she needs to know but doesn't apply it, by choice. The last day of school I talked to the SW and she made the strange comment that wherever we put DD she will be fine, she doesn't need ST or SW.

Mel, I am newish here and don't know your child's story. But coming from my experiences with school districts, this sounds extremely suspect.

It is perfectly possible for a child to be able to use a skill in some contexts and not others; this is a "performance deficit" as opposed to a "skill deficit." However, the fact that she has the skill in some contexts does not exempt them from teaching her or remediating the deficit; on the contrary, it means they have done a poor job helping her to generalize the skills she needs.

(Lots of districts are trying to cut the special ed rolls to save money; I wonder if that's part of what's going on here?)

If you still want her to have access to speech and whatever else from the school, document what you think are the areas of deficit, take the list back to them, and ask how they plan to help remediate these known issues.

If social skills are a problem, the idea of giving up working with peers is bizarre. Find the right peer group, yes, by all means-- but giving up isn't going to help.

Can you network with some parents at the middle school and find out more about what's going on over there?

I completely sympathize with how disorienting this has to be.

DeeDee