Kona, I also have an 8yo and a 5yo entering K next year. our town is still maintaining our G&T once a week pullout program thankfully even in the face of the budget cuts, and I just got the notice that dd got in. For that I'm grateful. I spoke to the G&T pullout teacher and LOVED what I heard from her about what goes on in the G&T program, but I got no good info about what goes on in the regular classroom.

When we got the Terra Nova scores, I set up a meeting with the principal. He is a fan of my dd, so that's a good start. He did agree to clustering the identified G&T kids for next year, and will do so in a class that does not have the basic skills cluster. That's good, but I'm still unsure how much will be done in the regular classroom. The principal is new and rather young and he is not going to make big waves like regrouping the grade for math, though I did ask for that as well.

Dh and I have agreed that within 1 month of school starting, we want to touch base with the 3rd grade teacher and see what dd is doing in the classroom and ask for more if we think it's not enough. I have heard that the 3rd grade teachers are good, but I will need to see for myself.

Terra Nova is a 2nd grade test on 2nd grade material, so all it told me is that my dd has mastered the 2nd grade curriculum. If you want to really know where your dd is, you'll have to get out of level testing. I didn't explictly ask for it yet, but the school did not offer to do it themselves. My dd's been going to Huntington learning center for enrichment since last spring (at her choice, mind you) and if we are not getting dd what she needs in school early next year, I'm going to have her assessed there to find out where she really is. And if the school won't accept that then I'll ask them to do their own assessment.

One of the issues I have with my dd is that she honestly is not THAT far ahead academically. She's just on another level in her abstract and analytical thinking, that's much harder to 'see' in school. I think the G&T pullout will be wonderful for her since they focus on creative problem solving which is her strong suit. I'm just not sure it will be enough.

My little one is just a totally different kid, so I have no idea how she'll do in school. I'll be watching and will definitely speak up sooner than I did with big sister.

Good luck to you. we're in the same boat and yes, it is hard work!