Your sense of urgency to remediate your child's weaknesses (as bad as that feels) is what can bring about a better outcome for your son. You are on the right track. If you can get started with a reading program you should be able to figure out what the roadblocks are, especially if you use a high quality, stepwise, proven reading program. That is exactly what worked for us, and I know many other parents who have succeeded the same way. If you want to send me a PM with more specific information on your child's reading level, maybe I can help point you to a highly effective program for that level. Your child's WISC profile leads me to think your son's challenges (while probably not autism related) can still be addressed in ways similar to those we used for my oldest child.

I live in NYC and I think it is interesting how the private kindergartens seem to want to admit kids without these uneven IQ profiles (the admissions testing done here for private school is totally ridiculous). There seems to be some idea that an even test profile (with minimal difference between subtest scores) suggests or promises the child will be easier to teach (and that may be true). But the most talented and/or brilliant people in my extended family are exactly those who had the (supposedly alarming) uneven IQ test profiles.

Take heart that those higher verbal scores your son achieved show he has promise, and I am sure with his and your effort he will do very well (even if it is not an easy path). Good luck.