BTW, I know that since I'm asking so much about testing again it sounds like I didn't pay any attention to you all when you said that the test scores aren't really that important, , but I did -- I promise! I will wait and see how the school reacts to him and if they seem to need more 'proof' before I decide to test again. I did have a fairly discouraging conversation with them before, though, when I wanted to set up a meeting before school started next year to let them know about him. When I told them he was advanced in both reading and math and wanted to see what they could offer him, they gave me a rehearsed answer about they would evaluate him every 9 weeks and if he was reading at an advanced level they would put him in the 'high kindergarten level' reading. My math question was largely ignored. When I protested that he was beyond kindergarten level for reading, they told me that they'd found that kids who were already reading at kindergarten didn't really have the basics down. Again, my insistence that he did fell on deaf ears. Gah!

No matter how much I reiterated the facts, they didn't seem to hear. And they wouldn't see me in person -- this was all over the phone. His pre-school teachers have written a letter about him and provided me with samples of his work for fear that he won't be recognized there, but they didn't want to even see those ('We'll do our own evaluation'. I asked where the reading and math evaluation started, and they said at letter and number recognition, and each evaluation takes 10 minutes. They'll never get to where he is in 10 minutes!)

When I got his IQ score of 130 they finally paid attention, and said they would set up a gifted education plan for him over the summer, so I am very, very glad about that. But it does seem like they need those scores in black and white rather than anecdotal evidence to take anything seriously, which is kind of scary for me. Maybe it will change if they can observe him for themselves at their school.

Last edited by 3xmama; 05/22/10 09:18 AM.