We are trying to make plans with our public school for next year.

DS7 is currently in 2nd grade with a 1 year grade skip. Academically 2nd grade was far below his academic level but the teacher fit was pretty good this year. A few minor incidents with behavior when he was not engaged. The techer used a pre-test model and DS7 always pre-tested out of math and spelling/language arts. He mostly did independent project based learning. Socially he fits in well. He has quite a few friends and has plently of play dates and birthday invites.

I have been meeting with the Principal, current teacher and school psychologist once a month to talk about DS7's progress and issues. We have been talking about next year for the past two meetings. We have quite a few options:

A: DS7 will attend 3rd grade next year with math acceleration to 4th or 5th. Principal admits that there is not a particular teacher that she thinks will be best to work with DS. There is also no real plan for the reading and language arts where DS7 also excels (except for handwriting, of course).

B. DS7 will skip 3rd and attend 4th grade with a teacher that may be a good fit for DS. DS7 will have access to spelling bees and some extracurricular activities not available to children in 3rd and below.

C. DS7 will skip 3rd and 4th and be matched with a teacher that eveyone agrees would be great for DS7. She already knows him and wants him in her class. Academically, DS7 would probably be challenged in a few areas. He would have access to all extracurriculars that the school offers, including band. The Principal also thinks that we may be able to leave DS7 in that class with that teacher for an additional year if it was a good fit.

On paper it seems like the jump to 5th grade would be the best for DS7 academically. I have some worries about social fit as well as handwriting. DS7 has never really been challenged in school and when faced with a challenge he is quick to become frustrated.

I think I have already decided that option A. would not be the best fit. Without a great teacher and lots of accomadations DS7 will continue to be a behavior problem when not engaged.

Thoughts, suggestions....
I am planning to observe the 5th grade classroom later on this week.

Crisc