My 14 year old has been typing most of her work since 4th grade because her writing is too small & messy to read. She is much faster typing, hates to handwrite & complains of wrist aching. She wants to type all, especially with increased note taking & essay tests.

So I went with teacher letters & sample papers to the school. They said that they can't do a 504 because she is a straight A student. But asked me to bring in an OT report that they could use to justify the laptop to her teachers.

OT did the BOT II & a non-standard writing assessment of copying for one minute at fast speed & slow speed. The results are that she has low avg fine motor skills & poor grip. But the OT concluded that she is writing at twice the median speed for her age & is only 50% legible. If she writes at the median speed for her age, she is 100% legible. So it her fault & she just needs to slow down.

I desperately want this to not be her fault. She has general anxiety disorder related to school & I don't think she can handle feeling responsible for this "failure".

Is it possible that something else is causing the writing speed/illegibility? So could it be related to the anxiety or the giftedness or something else?