But sometimes when he writes, especially when he takes notes, he will reverse letters or numbers and then he can't believe he did it. He says his hands don't do what he wants them to do sometimes. Yes. This is what DD experiences.

when the doctor had him write a few sentences for her later that year, he seemed to have improved. Her handwriting does improve, albeit much more slowly than other subjects.

Like you said, there were times I thought it was like his hand was not connected to his brain. The strange thing was that he would not reverse letters all the time and I thought if I took him back to the doctor he would just take his time and there wouldn't appear to be any big handwriting problems.
I alternate between thinking there's a problem and thinking this is just not a strength area. DD will spell the same word in several different ways within the same paragraph. If I then ask her to spell it orally, she spells it correctly. What do I think about that? At first I thought she was being lazy but now I don't think so.

I was so happy when we started using aleks.com for math. It doesn't care how he got the answers, just that he enters the right answer. DD rocketed ahead in math when we did EPGY over the summer. She didn't have to spend mental effort on writing answers and was much more motivated and excited about math.