Originally Posted by Belle
I second GM5's post about potty accidents...my DS7 when he was between 4-6 would have accidents because he said he didn't want to stop what he was doing....they get so involved in whatever it is they were doing that they don't want to miss out on anything. Or they just get so focused on what they are doing that they ignore the potty signs until it is too late to make it.

I totally agree about the frustration of it all. DS5 was the same way re: needing constant reminders and saying he never needed to go...and he still does that at times. When he turned 5 last summer we were quite worried because he was skipping K and going to first and we worried that he would get wet in first. Thankfully the #2 has never been an issue, somehow potty trained himself with that quite early...but never get the #1 down. DS5 will literally wait so long that I would see a spot on his pants and he would still insist that he didn't have to go!! I was worried that this would happen in 1st grade and the kids would tease him...but for whatever reason it hasn't yet to my knowledge. Of course in school when he is bored I think he enjoys bathroom breaks. But at home he gets so into whatever he is doing. I have to remind him that he can go right back to it and it won't go anywhere. Very frustrating....we tried a bunch of things that maybe you have too.

I will tell you what finally helped and worked for the most part. We used to just tell him that he needed to go on his own, that I may remind him from time to time but it is his choice whether he goes or not. Then I would comment on the signs that I saw that he needed to go, and then sometimes he would go and we would praise him. Other times he would still insist that he didn't need to and I would let it go after just reminding him that his body looks like it needed to go and what happens when he gets himself wet. If he peed during an activity then he had to go get his change of close, change himself and then that activity was over (for example if he was on the computer having fun and didn't want to stop so he had a spot on his pants...computer time was over, games would end, etc). this seemed to work pretty well and it took all the emotion out of it. We didn't make it a big deal, we just made it completely more work for him and not fun if he got wet. I would remind him matter of factly when I knew he had to go. It was tough not to make him go..especially one day when he literally waited 8 hours and kept insisting he didn't have to go. He went 8 hours later and made it to the bathroom without getting wet. It takes lots of time and energy, but eventually this will improve. Good luck!!