Originally Posted by Mom2MrQ
Do children with Asperger Syndrome have communication issues with ALL people, or just certain groups? Mine only has trouble with children his age. One symptom that did jump out at me was the tendency of those with AS to take words and phrases literally. I find that I am always explaining to others that "he takes things literally." Do highly gifted children do this too?

Children with AS typically have it with all people, but there is a large range on the spectrum. Some do get along better and communicate better with adults, but then one has to wonder whether that has to do with the gifted part as they often relate better. My DS5 is PG and he relates much better with adults and children older or younger. He is immature with younger kids usually but still gets along with them and likes to run around with them...with older kids he likes to talk about stuff and play games. About the literal aspect, some gifted people are quite literal. My DS is very literal (example: DS asked DH about what 'single file' meant. DH responded "how long have you been in school now?" and DS replied "116 days...why?"). He does things like that a lot, but he loves word play, and jokes, and he often gets all that and thinks it's hilarious. Anyhow, there is a lot of room for interpretation.

About the sports and coordination, DS5 just started Tee ball this year. He has only had 2 practices and seems pretty in the middle of the other kids in terms of ability. DS seems to enjoy tee ball so far but the last lesson was goofing off a lot with some of the other kids and playing around. I am hopeful that as he learns the games this will get better. We will see. He would love stuff like golf and more independent sports, but I really do think it is good to have him try things that may be more challenging and that he won't automatically excel at. This is new territory for him and he can learn some great skills with teamwork and working at things together. He needs to learn some of those skills. But swimming has never worked for him. Way to anxious about going under. He LOVES going in the pool, but holds onto the side or walks out when we are at the lake. We have a pool so we still try lessons each year, but they are often quite unsuccessful. We will keep trying.