My son is 14 and is a classic *smart* underachiever. According to the standardized tests done when he was younger he is not gifted. The more I read and learn the more I am convinced he is gifted and is not being properly accommodated by the school.

I am waiting for his counselor to return my phone call and I am going to ask that she pull up all of his previous testing so that we can go over it and I am going to request an IQ test. The school has been going off of achievement tests and he is clearly a bored underachiever.

Can any one give me any helpful info to assist me in strong arming the school into testing him? Has anyone else done this?

PS I base my theory on the fact that I was gifted and was an underachiever, my 2 DDs are yet one still struggles in school, and my 3rd DD is highly gifted.....so I am not just pulling this idea out of thin air. I think at this point in his life it is crucial that we get serious and identify his strengths and weaknesses so that we can move him forward into a successful young man.

Advice??