The reason I'm writing this is that DH and I have recently seen some people on TV who have aspergers (we've never met anyone in real life diagnosed with it) and we were struck by how NORMAL they seemed!

So far we've seen:
Max from Parenthood
Heather from America's Next Top Model
Jerry from Boston Legal (ok, he seemed more extreme)

For a long time we've tried figuring out FIL who has had struggled most of his life with a number of issues. But after seeing these characters on TV (and doing some subsequent research) it really felt like all the pieces were falling into place. So I'm wondering, if you've seen any of these TV show how accurate portrayal of aspergers would these be? Also, if you have a kid (or you, yourself have aspergers) could you tell me maybe a little about yourselves? How did you know you (or your child) had aspergers? What has helped you/your child deal with it? Also, how inheritable is it? How could you distinguish aspergers from overexcitibilites?

Ok, if you can just answer those questions, I'd be really thankful! I'll post about FIL's issue in a second (also some stuff with DH) but I wanted to make that a separate post than this first one in case someone didn't have enough time to read through it. wink