It seems that it's worth it to try the public school option first, my hunch is that the private school will always be availible, particularly as you have more children 'in the wings.'

Great advice so far - what grades do these schools go up to before one has to travel for higher classes?

Yes, it is common for Gifted Centers to be located in schools with 'issues.' I think that it's usually easier for GT kids from other neighborhoods to get to the poorer neighborhood than it is for kids from poor neighborhoods to get to the more affluent neighborhoods - so from that perspective I think this policy makes sense.

I would try very hard to observe the recieving classroom teachers. A wonderful teacher can make so much difference! One thing that might sway me is to count the teachers/per grade in both schools. To my mind a school with at least 2 classrooms per grade has two big advantages:

1) If there is a persisitient classmate bully, you can avoid them
2) If there is a teacher who is just plain miserable, you can avoid them. (Most teachers are wonderful, but I think every school has one that is pretty scary.)

Both schools sound pretty good, and as CFK notes - you have a lot of years ahead of you! And things do change.

We also found that private schools have more flexability - but then again, I have a cousin who's child is full grade skipped at a public gifted school - so you never know when the flexability you need will come your way even in a public school enviornment - it just takes one ally.

Best Wishes,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com