Originally Posted by Dottie
I was on a gifted committee way back when with a man who shared that we (gifted families) could never "win" with this argument, and he's probably right. He has since passed away, and in his memory I pass along his thoughts. Our GT kids need accommodations and acknowledgement, but probably not by comparing them to the other extreme, which is a challenging life situation in its own regard.
I agree... the issues really are hugely different. On the other end of the bell curve, the kids really need every bit of assistance to even be able to lead an independent adult life. Their parents have to consider how they're going to care for a child who may never be able to hold down a paying job, may need custodial care throughout his life, and will likely outlive them. There are financial and legal issues that loom large in their plans, and a unique vulnerability that complicates everything.

I'm not saying that parenting an HG+ kid isn't difficult - it certainly has challenges that shouldn't be minimized - but really, there's no point on the top end of the bell curve where I have to start worrying that DS won't be able to live independently and take care of himself as an adult.

I really think the argument has to be based on the specific needs of a specific child. As much as I love data and statistics, I think in this case it's not the best approach.

Erica