Hmmm... when I was growing up, I was often told I was the smartest kid in the school and I was really gifted and stuff like that despite my emotionally disturbed status.

But I found some of my testing stuff, and according to that, my Verbal IQ was somewhere in the 120-130 range (different tests said different things) and my performance was 100-115, though they noted my subcategory scores varied a lot. That's not really that exceptional, and my grade equivalencies were about 1-3 grades ahead of actual grade (oddly enough, I was way above grade level on reading (beginning college level reading in early high school, but behind grade level in spelling). But the examiner noted that my inattentiveness could have affected my scores.

So um, where these people exaggerating to me I wonder, or did they note that my scores were not reflecting my true intelligence? Of course, you guys cannot answer that.

But is this a common pattern that 2e children score lower on tests even though their actual abilities are higher?