Originally Posted by mnmom23
We (his parents) have been thinking that subject acceleration would probably be the best way to go next year. The problem is, DS has been getting frustrated with the problem solving enrichment packet. He gets really upset that it doesn't come easily to him and that he doesn't always know the anwer right away, and he'll sometimes get frustrated and cry a bit. I kinda think it's just because he's never had to really think much at school, so it's good for him to feel some frustration. But I also talked with him about how it's okay if he doesn't know it, try his best, take it slowly, etc. It's possible he just doesn't know how to do these types of problems without someone to walk him through it a bit at first.

Does the fact that he's getting frustrated with problem solving enrichment (without any instruction) mean that we should focus on that since it's important and forget subject acceleration? Or, is subject acceleration still an important thing since he's working at a 3rd grade level and he could benefit from direct instruction?

I think that the weepy behavior is a sign that his 'learning to learn' skills are very weak, and they are finally being challenged. I don't think it matters if they are challenged by subject acceleration, enrichment problems, or a full grade skip - you have to see what the available resources are and make your best choice.

What worries me is
1) that 6 is a perfectly normal age to be for 1st graders, so if your son is HG or PG an second skip on paper may be needed. If it's needed, then the sooner the better. The weepy behavior may be seen as a response to the general lack of challenge.

2) The teacher says he isn't 'practiced' at sitting still because it's new to him. It could just as easily be because of poor academic fit. (Or not) I would strongly recommend observing the classroom and seeing what she is talking about.

3) When he gets enrichment work, he still has to do his 'gradelevel' work. This is a set up for eventual frustration.

I recomend to see what the MAP test says and keep your options open. What I love about subject acceleration is that he can try it and still get enrichment. He can try it and stop if it doesn't work. He can try it and have it be an opening to a full skip if it seems like that is needed. Enrichment packets are good in their own way, but they don't tend to be followed through on by the next teacher in anykind of systematic way.

I love Enrichment, but it is treated like 'fluff' or 'an extra' instead of being taken seriously - so if you have a choice between Subject Accel and Enrichment and your child is rather more social in their learning style, I recommend to go Subject, and add Enrichment as needed.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could persuade them to place the top 3rd grade MAP tester in Math together so they could get subject enrichment AND enrichment problems at the same time?

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com