I just can't seem to run out of testing questions. crazy

I read somewhere (maybe in the Developing Math Talent book) that 3rd graders generally should not take EXPLORE because it is so challenging, yet some of the talent searches have 3rd graders take the test (Some only do 4-6 grades from what I can tell).

Does anyone have experience having their 3rd grader take EXPLORE. My DS took SCAT right after turning 8 and did very well, without too much anxiety, etc. (he got very nervous because the prometric center was so formal - sign here, show us your pockets, etc., but once he started the test he was fine and afterwards he said it was fun). But he was also able to do a good hunk of the questions and at least had some idea what the vast majority of them were about.

So, my question is, what would you consider when deciding whether to have your child do EXPLORE. What talent searches will test 3rd graders? Is that a talent search that has testing locations nationwide (aren't some limited in their areas)? And do all of the talent searches just have the January and Feb. test dates (which unfortunately means my son, with a Jan. b-day) will always have to take it "young."

I may have him continue with SCAT, as it is easy enough to do and not particularly expensive, and it might be a nice baseline to see improvement - but EXPLORE seems like the logical next step.

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Cat