I've been re-reading Deborah Ruf's book these days (read it once a few years ago). Sadly everything she described about schools and teachers not understanding GT kids has been true in our case. I was quite naive when I first read her book and didn't really pay much attention to these issues. Given that we are in a district with very high academic standard (compared to other districts in the state), I thought we would have it easy. But I was so wrong. In a sense I think it's worse to be in a good district, where educators can be so confident and smug about everything they do, that it's much harder to convince them that they still have room to improve.

Well the "average" level of academic achievement is high in our district, but as long as teachers teach to the lowest common denominator, no matter how strong the lowest common denominator is, kids at the other end of the spectrum are definitely going to be shortchanged.

Yes, we have brought up the topic with DS. He is just like us, firmly on the fence, at least for now. He craves for a more stimulating and flexible learning environment, but on the other hand will feel sorry to part with friends and will miss being in a big school (more clubs and more opportunities to establish friendship). He has visited both the private and public schools...

Cricket2, it's awesome that things worked out so nicely for your DD#1. I think the facts that you planned ahead and took actions, and that the school has been helpful, are the key. In our case, it's hard for me to imagine the latter.

kcab, I know that our public middle schools do have a bit of grouping, especially in math. But I have no idea how advanced kids can go. That's something we need to find out.

DorothyS, it's awesome that things worked out for you guys as well. Unfortunately we don't have magnet schools here based on academic areas. We have "choice" schools that claim to go at each student's pace, but what I heard is not very promising at all.