I believe we have been very fortunate with our children's schooling experience.

DS16 was identified as being gifted by his preschool teacher (I was clueless) and when this was communicated to the public school (K-12) they picked it up from there. He was given extension work within the classroom from kindergarten to Yr3. From Yr4 onwards he was subject accelerated in Mathematics (3 years) and Science (1 year). During middle school (Yrs 5-8) the core subjects were ability grouped so it was very easy for the school to accelerate due to the concurrent timetabling. They have been able to continue this past Yr8 which has lead to his current situation of being in Yr11, doing Yr12 Physics and also being enrolled at university in a BSc majoring in Mathematics and Applied Physics. He has just commenced his second year. DD18 was subject accelerated in English and Maths (1 year). I have to commend the school as it was difficult for them to concurrently timetable both of my children in their accelerated subjects in high school.

In both cases the school has been the one to do most of the advocacy, I have only done the fine tuning. In our case IQ testing was not required for any of the accommodations. DD didn't want to be tested and DS was tested at 11 so he could access university programs.